Store Hours (Winter)
Friday: 10:00am – 5:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am – 5:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm – 5:00pm
Rare and Uncommon Plants, Expert Garden Advice/Design
There are plant nurseries and flower shops, and then there’s Perennials Preferred. Located in Chesterland, Ohio our staff is dedicated to helping you create the garden or arrangement of your dreams, whatever the style, whatever the size. With our broad and varied inventory of unusual, native and heirloom plants and flowers, we can help to make your vision unique. And if we don’t have it, we’ll find it for you.
Whether you are a Master Gardener who knows exactly what you want or a beginner who needs some guidance we are always happy to help. We offer a great variety of flowers, vegetable plants, organic or untreated heirloom seeds, garden décor accessories, garden supplies & amendments, bird seed, houses & feeders: and local Amish certified organic produce in season. A quick glance at our services:
- Garden Design Advice
- In the store or at your home.
- Plant Knowledge
- Decades of in-house gardening experience.
- Soil Amendments
- Incred-A-Soil, Sweet Peet, potting soil, Monty’s liquid fertilizer, natural weed killer (Burn-Out), Green Screen deer and rabbit repellant, Milky Spore, CPR microrrhizae and much more!
- Special Order Plants
- Perennials, shrubs, vines, trees etc. (Find what you want at our wholesale supplier klynnurseries.com and we’ll have it delivered to the store for pickup just for you!)
- Great Selection of Perennials & Annuals
- Native plants for butterflies, bees, and other wildlife, miniatures for trough and fairy gardens, small plants for rock gardens as well as a variety of uncommon and common perennials.
- Large Variety of Herb, Flower and Vegetable Seeds
- Heirloom, organic or untreated from Renee’s High Mowing Seeds, Seed Saver’s Exchange, and Baker’s Creek.
- Wildlife and Conservation-Related Gifts
- Pollinator boxes, birdhouses, feeders, bird food and special plant seed mixes to attract for bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds.
- Outdoor Garden Decor
- Woodstock chimes and gongs, colorful garden poles from the Peace Project, Carruth Stoneware.
- Local Art
- Photographic prints, cards, and paintings, hippy slouch bags, scarves, etc., as well as other handmade products.
- Amish, Certified Organic Produce
- Seasonal offerings direct from the Miller family farm in Middlefield.
Pay us a visit. We’ll be happy to talk with you and answer your questions. We hope to see you soon at Perennials Preferred!
Please also check out our flower photography site: photosbypennyandgus.com. Sample prints can also be seen at the store.
Owner Penny Orr has been a gardener ever since she was a child, tinkering with her own miniature cutting garden. She has worked with plants for years: at Harvard University’s Arnold Arboretum, as perennial manager at Sunnybrook Farms, as a teacher of field ecology, and as co-founder of Perennials Preferred at its original location in Kirtland, Ohio, where she created gardens for the Cleveland Home and Flower Show and the Cleveland Botanical Garden. She has designed English borders, shade gardens, shrub borders, and patio plantings, as well as butterfly, bird, herb, rock, wall, and trough gardens. She is the past president (3 years) of the Audubon Society of Greater Cleveland, where, through the power of planting, she spearheaded a wetland reclamation project.
She is crazy about alpines and primroses, loves flower photography, and sadly no longer knits her own ponchos.